Very early babies

Welcome to the general discussion forum. All bird related topics may be posted here.

Moderator: cwl50?

Very early babies

Postby Shari » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:12 pm

This has been a crazy spring...between very warm temps early in the spring and the freeze that destroyed all my flowers...things have just seemed "off."

Even the birds are a bit confused. For the past few days I've heard something that sounds a lot like baby birds begging for food. I kept telling myself I was crazy, it's just too early. It was probably the spring "flirting" beginning.

Well, I was outside yesterday and a male and female cardinal were acting mighty nervous and were hanging out in one particular spot in the yard. I got closer and found out why. It seems there are 2 very young babies in the bushes. Unfortunately, these little guys look to be about half the size they should be when the fledge. I wouldn't have even known they were cardinals if I hadn't seen the parents. They are that young. I suspect either they fell out of the nest or the nest fell from where it was. This means Mom was sitting on the eggs during the freeze 2 weeks ago. I don't know about where you live, but that is very early for cardinals to be nesting in Kansas. I would expect this from cavity nesters, not these guys.

Mom and Dad are working hard to take care of the babies, but I suspect it's an uphill battle that may not turn out well. I've been putting mealworms out to help them. We'll see how it goes....

Anyone else noticing odd things this spring?

Shari
Shari

Postby cwl50? » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:24 am

YES!! Very strange here.
cwl50?
Site Admin

Postby sweetpea in pa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Aw shari i hope they make it.
When the last blast of snow and cold temps came through my neck of the woods i found small white egg shells in my yard in two different places, looked like swallow eggs to me. All i could think of was i can't believe there are tiny babies out there in those freezing temps, birds are pretty tough when it comes to the elements but who knows if they survived or not.
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and touch that never hurts.
sweetpea in pa

Postby cwl50? » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:24 pm

A week ago it was 20 and today it should get to 90! I have 2 Blue Bird hatched now. The earliest I have ever seen here in Iowa. The birds must have better weather forecasters then we do.

CW
cwl50?
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm pretty sure at least one of the babies has survived, possibly both. I can hear them in the backyard. They are well hidden, but not exactly quiet with their constant begging for food!
Shari

Return to General Discussion