The View From My Deck

Welcome to the general discussion forum. All bird related topics may be posted here.

Moderator: cwl50?

The View From My Deck

Postby cesare » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:17 am

Sometimes coincidences do happen. Yesterday evening I went out on my deck at 7:30 PM. It was getting dark rather fast and to make matters worse, the sky was cloudy and overcast. Contrast was poor. I didn't see anything remarkable until I noticed a Blue Heron, up high, flying in my direction. It passed high overhead and banked abruptly to it's right after passing over my house. I got a good view of its long legs, curved neck and long bill. It dropped down to the creek about 200 yards distant, and I got a good look at it's bright blue back. I sat down, pleased with my luck, about ready to call it a night when a crow size bird flew over my head and perched on a dead branch in my Sugar Maple tree about 100 feet away. When I got my binocular (Nikon 10 x 42 SE) focused on it I was amazed to see that it was a Little Green Heron! It sat there checking out the small spring fed creek that bisects my backyard. I didn't move. It was the best and clearest view I have ever had of a Green heron. The pictures in the bird guides don't do it justice! What a stunning bird, with it's black cap and rich chestnut throat and chest! Until now I had never had an unobstructed view of one. Usually, when I saw one, it was in it's camoflage mode, trying to blend in with the surrounding flora. The bird finally became aware of me. I could see him watching me as I looked at him through my binocular. He took off in my direction, flew direct ly over my head and the roof of my house and was gone. I doubt if he will return.
Bob :D
cesare

Postby Starzz » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:24 am

and as always... you didn't have your camera with you! hehehe :wink:
Starzz

Return to General Discussion