Salt Lake Weekend

Welcome to the general discussion forum. All bird related topics may be posted here.

Moderator: cwl50?

Salt Lake Weekend

Postby mmcutter » Wed May 02, 2007 1:54 pm

Went on the 3-day to Salt Lake, on the MN/SD border, sponsored by The Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union. Had an absolutely fabulous time! Saw lots of waterfowl, including a Ross's Goose, Blue Wing Teal, Northern Shovelers, American Coot, Northern Pintail, Ruddy Ducks, Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers. Saw lots of American White Pelicans, also. Shorebirds were plentiful in the flooded fields, and included Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope, and a Marbled Godwit. Unfortunately, my husband and I were not among the group that saw the White Faced Ibis or the American Avocets. We did, however, add several birds to our state lists for both MN and SD, and we saw several Gray Partridge, a lifelister for us. Altogether, we identified over 60 species of birds, and seven mammels. The most ubiquitous were the Ring Necked Pheasants (we were practically tripping over them), the Yellow-headed and Red-winged Blackbirds and the Eastern Meadowlarks; however, we also saw several species of woodpecker and hawks. The weather was great, and the camaraderie of the experienced birders with the MOU was wonderful! I would recommend this event to anyone who finds themselves in the MN/SD area the last weekend of April next year.

Marge
mmcutter

Postby Jim B » Wed May 02, 2007 10:51 pm

It sounds like a terrific time, Marge!

The only Ross Goose I ever thought I saw, upon further review, turned out to be a Ross x Snow. I'm jealous. The pelicans and the Yellow-headed Blackbirds are rare here in the Massachusetts.

I need a road trip!
Jim B
Site Admin

Re: Salt Lake Weekend

Postby mmcutter » Thu May 03, 2007 2:10 am

Come on out, Jim! My husband and I welcome company, and there are lots of great birds out here that don't usually make it to Massachusetts.

Marge
mmcutter

Return to General Discussion