The Bird of Summer

Welcome to the general discussion forum. All bird related topics may be posted here.

Moderator: cwl50?

The Bird of Summer

Postby Jim B » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 am

Almost everybody has a bird that they associate with the coming of spring. I know when the phoebes arrive here so has spring.

Yesterday I saw the first of what I consider to be the harbinger of summer. A Spotted Sandpiper standing on the rocks by the river out back.

What are you seeing?

(looks like cw broke the spell checker lol)
Last edited by Jim B on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B
Site Admin

Postby cwl50? » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:55 pm

LOL Jim! My checker works jusk frine!
cwl50?
Site Admin

Postby Jim B » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 am

Yep, it is werkin now...

So what bird do you see and think, "It's summertime ! "
Jim B
Site Admin

Postby cwl50? » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:58 pm

Blue Birds and Martins....BTW the wife and I went to the Purple Martin capital this past week. They have a Martin pole with 520 nest compartments in it. LOL Life in the Midwest is exciting. Close to home however only about 100 miles away from home for me.

Here is a link if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/ILGRIpurple.html
cwl50?
Site Admin

Postby sweetpea in pa » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:41 pm

The gray catbird, one of my favorites.
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and touch that never hurts.
sweetpea in pa

Birds of Summer

Postby veery » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:04 pm

That's a great story about purple martins. I wonder if the majority of the units get martins living in them. Did farmers always have martin houses, and did martins decline as small farms disappeared--or did pesticides kill off a lot of birds?

It's hard to single out a particular species that signals summer--there are so many to chose from. I guess maybe Baltimore oriole for early summer and common nighthawk for late August. Right now we are enjoying the sight of fledglings following adults around, sometimes begging for food--house finches, killdeers, kingbirds, song and chipping sparrows. The other day we found a yellow warbler foraging, grabbing a bug, and making a beeline for its insistent nestling--a young brown-headed cowbird! Oh well, maybe someday science will reveal that cowbirds fulfill some high ecological purpose.
veery

Postby Starzz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:40 am

sweetpea in pa wrote:The gray catbird, one of my favorites.

I have 3 gray catbirds coming to the grape jelly this year! Usually they stay a few weeks when they first arrive in the spring, then they stop eating the jelly, but not this year! They are great birds to watch! :D
Starzz

Postby Jim B » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:15 am

Well, summer has finally hit New England!!! Three days in row are going to be 90 degrees or better. Cool summer yardbird - Black-crowned Night Heron
Jim B
Site Admin

Postby Laura » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:44 am

Bird of summer:

White wing dove. They come north in the summer from Mexico to enjoy the fruit of the saguaro cactus.
Laura

Return to General Discussion