FTB Bird Walk Images

Welcome to the photo and artwork forum. Share your bird photos, artwork, poems and so on here. To learn how click How To Post Photo topic.

Moderator: cwl50?

FTB Bird Walk Images

Postby Jim B » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:12 pm

I had a great time today with the folks who showed up on this windy but mild day. The best finds were raptors and flycatchers.

For raptors we had Peregrine Falcon, Merlin, and Red-tailed Hawk. The flycatcher was 2 or 3, it was hard to tell how many as they were so active, Eastern Phoebes feeding at Halibut Point.

Here's a few of the pix from today;

This image was taken in the Friendlys parking lot.

The 1st year Peregrine Falcon is still on the job at City Hall. He has a little pile of feathers on ledge in front of him.
The Rock Pigeons were on the next ledge. They seemed to think they were safe.

From the Fish Peir we checked out various gulls including 2 Kumlien's Gulls.
This image of two females of different species huddled together on the rock struck me as odd.

John spotted this Red-tailed Hawk in the woods at Halibut Point. We had great looks and some families hiking through got to see him as well.

Forget about robins, if you were to poll local birders as to what is the true bird of spring, Eastern Phoebe would win hands down! These little flycatchers were delightful to watch as they snapped insects at Halibut Point

Spring is sprung! Enjoy!
Jim B
Site Admin

Postby Starzz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:21 am

Nice pictures Jim! I seen an eastern phoebe today in the back yard.

While on a walk this afternoon I seen 2 northern flickers and a turkey vulture.
Starzz

Postby Upupa epops » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:18 pm

Nice to see that the Peregrine is at the usual hang out. Some times while scanning from behind the Emmerson Inn or Andrew's Point I see Peregrines going by. At Acadia Park in Maine there is a nesting Peregrine and it's been reported that it has brought back Puffins and other alcids to the nest. About 8 years ago I was in Maine on a boat trip to see the nesting Puffins and sure enough there was a Peregrine there attempting to take an alcid.

- Dan B
Upupa epops

Postby sweetpea in pa » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Great photos.
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and touch that never hurts.
sweetpea in pa

Postby petite » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:25 am

Wow Jim! What great pictures! I can see why the Pigeons weren't scared to be on the ledge with the Falcon....it's crop is already full!
petite

Postby oldcrow6l » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:19 pm

Wonderful pictures, love the hawk and falcon.
oldcrow6l

Postby Cadd50 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:38 am

Nice captures Jim! I really like the Peregrine, where was this at? Is that city hall in Gloucester or a nearby town? Someone else here mentioned the Northern Flicker being spotted, this past weekend I spotted approx 5-6 Flickers and many Downys. It made for a great chorus of bird songs so I sat down and listened for over a half hour. With the creek nearby one could have easily fell asleep. :D
Canon EOS 350D Rebel XT | Canon EFS-AF 18-55 3.5-5.6 | Tamron AF 70-300 4.0-5.6 LD Tele-Macro | Hitachi 6 GB Microdrive | Vivatar 2000 EF | Corel Paintshop Pro X | Adobe Photoshop CS2

Toto I don't think we're in Kansas.
Cadd50

Postby Jim B » Tue May 02, 2006 10:31 am

Aye, the Peregrine was at Gloucester City Hall in Massachusetts. There was an adult bird there for several winters until this March and then we found this immature.

Ya had to mention flickers......I've been trying to get a good image of them. Wouldn't you know it, last night after I had put my camera back in the bag and was leaving Halibut Point, two Northern Flickers exploded up out of the road as I was leaving. I'll get'em next time
Jim B
Site Admin

Postby Cadd50 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:42 am

Ha Ha! Yes I saw a couple this past weekend I never could get a shot fo them. I love to hear their call it is sort of prehistoric sounding to me. Well I'm off to get some maitenence done on my Blazer for our upcoming move. Will be back later today. Take care.

Tony
Canon EOS 350D Rebel XT | Canon EFS-AF 18-55 3.5-5.6 | Tamron AF 70-300 4.0-5.6 LD Tele-Macro | Hitachi 6 GB Microdrive | Vivatar 2000 EF | Corel Paintshop Pro X | Adobe Photoshop CS2

Toto I don't think we're in Kansas.
Cadd50

Return to Photos and Videos